7/14/14

vietnamese coffee ice cream

Have you had vietnamese coffee yet?
It's quite good, a little sweet, but if you make it at home you can adjust the sweetness level.
I got turned on to this coffee by this product at Whole Foods.
IMG_5439
Wow, that was good!
But holy batman it is sweet, so I dilute mine a little with more milk and add in more coffee to it.
IMG_2433
Since I'm on this 'homemade ice cream kick', this idea of really good espresso ice cream came to me at night--the time I crave espresso the most.  Why I don't know. Around 9 or 10pm at night I crave a large iced latte from Starbucks.  Not sure why, but it happens almost every night.
Funny because I can't drink any coffee or espresso after 1pm; I won't be able to sleep that night.
One cold, fall night I did act on that craving by having a large pumpkin latte at around 7pm--didn't fall asleep till 3am. Yeah that was fun.
With this ice cream I made two versions: one with full force fattening ice cream kind of way, made with heavy cream, and one with a less calorie way made with half & half.
The latter wasn't so good; kind of like an ice milk.
So if you want to try and make this with whole milk or half & half it will stink--unless you like ice milk!
IMG_2428
IMG_5440
Use a dark roast espresso powder or a Starbuck Via.
The Via's are wonderful for ice cream making.
I used Pike's Place Via--it's one of my favorites; not too strong, not too weak AND never bitter!
IMG_2432
IMG_2428
IMG_2431

vietnamese coffee ice cream
print recipe

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 pint + ½ pint of heavy cream, cold
1 pint whipping cream, cold
3-4 dashes of cinnamon (if you have vietnamese cinnamon please use it!)
1 Starbuck Via (or 1 TB of high quality espresso powder)
giant pinch of sea salt

cook notes:
when you've mixed all the ingredients, do a quick taste-test and see if it needs more espresso or cinnamon. If you're using an espresso powder start off adding a little then work your way up.
I've only made this using Starbuck Via's, and I know how strong they are.
So if you can get a hold of the Via's please use them for this recipe.
Also, if you have vietnamese cinnamon, please use it! It's perfect for this recipe.

In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients until all is dissolved. Do a taste-test and see how you like it.
Pour into a freeze-safe glass or other bowl that has a tight fitting cover.
I used a large glass bowl that has a tight fitting lid.
Let freeze for 2-3 hours.
Makes about 1 & ½ pints, roughly?

10 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I adore coffee ice cream, and the cinnamon sounds like such a great touch. I think this would be worth a lost night of sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I love Vietnamese style coffee, this ice cream flavor sounds yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extra coffee flavor? Fantastic! I've never had Vietnamese coffee, but I'm totally intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a triple threat. 1- I love the flavor of coffee in sweets, 2- I've come to really like Vietnamese coffee lately, and 3- I can't get enough ice cream in this heat. I need this in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love Vietnamese coffee..and I have no doubt I would LOVE this ice cream. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good heavens....a Whole Foods find? I'll be looking for that. What a winner! And of course, anything with condensed milk in it just has to taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ice creams that are easy to make! And this looks terrific, and with a flavor that looks wonderful. Really nice, and perfect for the weather we've been having! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't usually go for coffee desserts, but with that touch of cinnamon, this sounds too delicious to skip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have coffee cravings at all hours of the day. Similar to my ice cream cravings. Hmm. That touch of cinnamon does it for me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like coffee too much, but I'be always had a thing for coffee ice cream. Looks creamy and fab!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This