5/30/12

strawberry-white chocolate cream scones

IMG_6786

I rarely see strawberries used in scones. Why is that? Do people not like this combo? Do they think strawberries do not go in scones? They go well with shortcakes? And shortcakes are just a couple uncles away from a scone in the biscuit family--right?
Granted I can see where strawberries might taste horrid in a scone, if the strawberry isn't chopped to the right size (huge chunks are a turn off in a scone UNLESS it's a chocolate chunk!). Or if the strawberry isn't ripe enough.
Strawberry season is in full effect and I'm having a great time celebrating. Those giant strawberries are my favorite, they are always the sweetest.

IMG_6780
The white chocolate chunks brown up a bit and give off this almost creamy-like taste. Really good!

IMG_6770
Keep the dough as cold as you can and never overwork/overmix the dough. Overworking leads to a tough scone. We don't want that.

IMG_6774
Leftovers (should you have any, make a great crumble for shortcake parfaits!).

IMG_6671-1

Congrats to the winners of the Pie It Forward cookbook giveaway. #12 (all that's left are the crumbs) and #40 Amanda!

strawberry-white chocolate cream scones
print recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
4 oz butter, grated or cut into small pieces (kept cold)
½ cup fresh strawberries, cut into ½ inch chunks
¼ – ½ cup white chocolate chunks (add as much or a little as you like)
¾ cup heavy cream
1 egg
Course sugar, for coating tops of scones, optional

Grate or cut up your butter in to small chunks; keep in fridge until ready to use (keep the butter cold).
Cut up your strawberries into ½-inch chunks. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.

In a large bowl (or your food processor), combine and mix all of the dry ingredients. Add in the butter chunks and mix until your dough resembles pea-sized chunks. Add in the heavy cream and mix until dough just comes together; do not overmix. It’s normal to have chunks of butter. If you overmix you will have a tough scone.

By hand, add in the strawberries and white chocolate chunks; mix till just combined.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Pat into a circle, about ¾-1 inch thick. Cut into triangles, I made 7, but you can make them a bit smaller or larger.

Place onto prepared baking sheet, with space between each one. Chill in fridge for at least half hour (this is optional of course, but the colder they are the better bake up).
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make egg wash and wash the tops of the scones with the egg wash, then sprinkle tops with the course sugar.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the scones are golden brown on the tops.

28 comments:

  1. OH.MY.GOODNESS

    these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a scone with strawberries before, but these looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love strawberry scones! The addition of white chocolate sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That FLOOD of creaminess oozing from the last picture...say no more! Delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavenly Dawn - just heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heavenly Dawn - just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why have I never thought to put strawberries in scones? These look luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My local bakery makes sour cherry & white chocolate scones and they are incredible. Strawberry also sounds amazing too. Yum!! I'll have 2 please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing! I absolutely need to try these scones...great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omgosh strawberry scone parfait sounds ridiculous good. These are beautifuL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to make strawberry scones all the time at my old bakery. White chocolate/strawberry was one of the combos we'd do. As well as raspberry/white chocolate. But the customers were into PLAIN scones. No crazy flavors. ( just plain strawberry, or raspberry etc etc) You should try strawberry with a ton of lemon zest and big chunky sugar on the top. Its amazing, and the smell is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing looking scones. I never add them because I'm afraid they'll be too weak and squishy. Clearly, you've proven me wrong. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I NEVER crave scones but somehow you've gotten me to do it. I think it was all this talk of white choco chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to make scones! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought fresh strawberries... these may be making an appearance in my kitchen this weekend.

      Delete
  15. I love me some strawberry scones. Maybe people think they will make the batter too wet or something....I think they are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Dawn, please send me some scones (and some strawberries while you're at it) xoxo, E

    ReplyDelete
  17. How perfect for summer! Love the strawberries here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. if all scones had either white chocolate or strawberries, i'd be a scone aficionado. these have BOTH--yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These scones look delicious, I'd love one right now with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. MMMMMMM,...Your scones look really delectable & so huge too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made these yesterday... they are PERFECT. I will definitely be trying with blueberries and raspberries as a swap. Simply deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you get much flavor from the strawberries this way? Whenever I've tried using them in muffins I feel like you can't taste them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if the strawberries aren't ripe enough, no, not much flavor, but then you could soak them in a lemon & sugar bath to help.

      Delete
  23. these sound delicious! white chocolate is a perfect combo here :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am really liking the white chocolate and strawberry combo here!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This